Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.
1. The exhausted regiment _________ down to a few troops.
2. Secret documents listed the _________ to the large fortune.
3. Iris made a _________ attempt to ignore their biting comments.
4. The _________ of waste materials has polluted our rivers.
5. Charles blundered off in the wrong direction without _________ my warning cries.
6. Lincoln tried in vain to keep the North and South _________.
7. It did not take long before the unruly crowd turned into a mob of howling _________.
8. The confirmed bachelor could not _________ having anyone touch a single utensil in his home.
9. If the _________ does not end soon, I can predict a famine.
10. The population rise will reach its _________ in a few years and then it will level off.
11. Lt. Jenkins lost every morsel of self-respect and became a _________ to his flag.
12. The loyal captain, _________ in defeat, won the sympathy of the people.