Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.
1. When the third person she approached turned away from her, Marilyn had a vague feeling she was being _________.
2. Achilles’ _________ did not cease until he had taken revenge on the slayer of his friend.
3. As the captain _________ their situation, he realized that resistance was in vain.
4. Father _________ that all forms of gambling should be declared illegal.
5. The prophet warned that the land cannot _________ such violations of morality.
6. To diminish the chances of raising weaklings, the ancient Spartans used to _________ to the elements the babies that they did not want.
7. The Robin Hood stories are a good illustration of a _________ from the Middle Ages.
8. The _________ is the symbol of the democratic way of choosing leaders.
9. Because of the secret nature of the cargo, visits to the _________ area were prohibited.
10. The patriot was _________ dying for his deed.
11. We are trying to persuade the sponsors of the bill to _________ it in order to improve its chances for passage.
12. The guinea pigs could not put up with _________ changes in their diet.