Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.
1. The children shrieked with fear as the _________ flew over them.
2. It is illegal to _________ prisoners until they have served a minimum sentence.
3. The municipal council voted to _________ the run-down section of the city and to make it a model residential area. 4. Mike Pavonna was the unanimous choice of the _________ for the office of mayor.
5. With all this equipment, we have the _________ to survive for weeks in the most frigid climate.
6. The worn _________ betrayed the poverty of the family.
7. His family was distressed at Frank’s _________ to the normal adolescent activities.
8. Unfortunately, Carmen was too _________ with dates to devote much time to her studies.
9. To start the air circulating, turn the button to a _________ position.
10. Bob was pleased to be _________ for the presidency, but he gallantly declined in favor of Carole.
11. When the security leak was discovered, the editor called the newspaper _________ to check if there was any precedent for such a case.
12. The winner’s _________ smile annoyed some of the members of the audience.