Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.
1. The principal probed the cause of the _________ in the cafeteria.
2. A _________ of insects descended on the picnic food.
3. When asked for their _________ on the agreement, the members gave their approval spontaneously.
4. The first project in our creative writing class was a _________ of a close friend or relative.
5. Until the flood waters _________, the authorities prohibited anyone from returning to the vicinity.
6. Mr. Finley was redeemed in the eyes of his employees by his _________ in overlooking their costly error.
7. The grateful traveler would _________ in prayer every night.
8. Mother is an expert at soothing our _________ spirits.
9. It is absurd to surrender your rights to a _________ when you have abundant reason to remain free.
10. We faced the dilemma of being _________ in the downpour while we covered our boat or having to bail the water out of the boat after the rain had ceased.
11. Melinda shrieked as the unstable pedestrian _________ into the path of the oncoming car.
12. A glance from the mother was enough of a reminder to bring the _________ child back to her side.