Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.
1. The culprit _________ his oath in court as if his tongue were numb.
2. The _________ of material stuffed under Mr. Marlowe’s shirt made him look bulky enough to play the part of Santa.
3. With the evidence mounting against him, Dr. Parkman was persuaded to _________ the best lawyer in the state.
4. In a fine showing of loyalty, many _________ responded to the fire.
5. Our party was a _________ blend of good fellowship, song, and dance.
6. The defense attorney made a desperate plea to the jury not to allow the hazy evidence to _________ them against his client.
7. Edith’s fierce loyalty has _________ the investigation of the crime.
8. Flynn was usually talkative but the accident left him _________.
9. There were visible signs that the child had been severely _________.
10. The _________ screams of the jet planes lead many people to envy the quiet country life.
11. Father gave Steve a _________ for neglecting to wash the car.
12. A _________ line in Shakespeare’s plays may not get a chuckle in our century.