Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.
1. There is a tendency to _________ politicians from keeping campaign promises.
2. A _________ of such a blunder could be disastrous.
3. The guide was compelled to admit he had _________ far from the intended route.
4. A miserly person cannot _________ the joy of sharing.
5. Though doctors _________ to cure the undernourished child, he never regained his full health.
6. Three workers were _________ when the ladder collapsed.
7. The policeman was _________ for his bravery in capturing the armed outlaw.
8. The perfect attendance of our class illustrated the importance of this _________ exam.
9. Friend and foe united in _________ the death of the leader, for she was respected by all.
10. The drowning man’s cries were uttered in _________, because no one was near to hear them..
11. Miguel’s fever _________ after he took the medicine..
12. My brother was in such a _________ over the tragedy that he could hardly respond to questions.