Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.
1. The dying soldier made a last _________ effort to rise.
2. Though the victim’s breathing had _________, the fireman continued giving oxygen.
3. We often regret a _________ statement made in the heat of an argument.
4. Now that you have _________ all your excuses, tell us the truth.
5. The bout was fought to determine who would be the _________ of the ring.
6. An increase in pollution will _________ our normal ways of life.
7. Macy’s Department Store always says, “It pays to be _________.”
8. I have learned to read Spanish _________, but I cannot speak it so well.
9. The _________ of the pain compelled Frank to call the doctor in the middle of the night.
10. Under certain conditions, oxygen will _________ with hydrogen to form water.
11. _________ a warning glance from the teacher, Harold continued to annoy the girl next to him.
12. It is best to be neither too _________ nor too careless about one’s money.