Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.
1. History has shown us that tyranny cannot _________ the human desire for freedom.
2. The sailors used the North Star to _________ them to their destination.
3. Our eyes _________ to sudden light by blinking.
4. The coach _________ to the pitcher to watch for a bunt.
5. Little Benjy was foolish enough to _________ out on the thin ice.
6. If we are _________ to vote without hearing all sides of the issue, we could make a serious mistake.
7. Power in the hands of the ignorant is an _________ responsibility.
8. Benedict Arnold _________ his country.
9. The only _________ excuse for Barry’s failure is his lack of effort.
10. It was not possible to _________ the excited woman after she was fined for jaywalking.
11. The last words _________ by the dying soldier were, “We must hold the fort.”
12. Ralph found himself in an _________ situation when his blind date turned out to be a foot taller than he.